Bedding thickness maximum - Gradually increasing depth of bed

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
Greensurgeon

Hi all,

This is my first post as a new member so please be kind and patient. I've got a job I've been asked to provide prices for, the customer wants a price for both Indian sandstone (calibrated to 22mm thickness) and FLB clay pavers. The area will be used as a patio only but is currently part of a tarmac drive with a fall from one side to the other which would mean the bed would range from 40mm to around 125mm if I used the existing driveway as it stands.
I plan to lay the slabs on a sharp sand mortar bed and the pavers on a sharp sand only bed. My query is with a deviation in thickness of 85mm from when end of the bedding layer to the other am I asking for trouble. I'm trying to use the driveway (sub-base)as it stands to save on time and hopefully costs but don't want to do so at the risk of any future problems.
Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice.

r896neo

I dont want to be confrontational but are you sure you are confident in carrying out his potential job?

The bedding question is pretty basic and if you are even considering using a 125mm deep bed you should honestly ask yourself the question above.

On a more helpful note your bedding thickness must be consistant. If you vary the bedding depth then the settlement will be variable resulting in dips and troughs forming.

For grit sand bedding under block paving I aim for about 35mm, 50mm would be a maximum limit for most people.

As for rigid bedding for sandstone flags then the bedding depth is less critical if it fluxuates a little but you should still aim for as little variation as possible. I aim for 40mm bedding 5:1 grit sand to cement

Rigid beds of more than 60mm should be a fine concrete mix rather than just mortar.

The correct way to carryout this job would be to remove the tarmac and then install kerbing If required on the low side and add more sub base to bring it up to your required level.

lemoncurd1702

Take the tarmac up first then build up with sub-base so you can achieve a consistent bed depth.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

seanandruby
Site Admin

one solution
and here
Ra96neo and Lemon gives good advice on bedding thickness, and taking out the Tarmac etc: There is plenty advice in the index, may be a good idea for you to spend a few hours reading it.
sean