Sealing marshall's granite setts- help!

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
goinggrey

Hi. First post here.
Just cleaned driveway of about 140 m2 which has Marshall's reconstituted granite blocks.
I'm looking for a product to seal it because four cars, overhanging trees, wheelie bins, etc. generally mess it up after it's been cleaned and want to preserve it in its clean state. Any advice on best stain/natural sealing product for this type of paving?

Also the guy at the local builder's merchant said I couldn't use brush/wash products in joints because of the very rough texture of the surface and would have to use KDS -- is that right?

Any help/advice would be gratefully received...

Many thanks. :)
goinggrey

r896neo

Are these block pavers you are talking about? Perhaps marshall argent range?

If so the guy at the merchants is right. You need to joint it with kiln dired sand whens its totally dried out (2 or 3 dry days in a row).

As for sealers read the sealers page on the main site.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/sealant_02.htm

goinggrey

Yes --- it is that Marshall's Argent range.
I would really have liked to have the driveway jointed with something more permanent than sand because it gets covered with leaves from next door's trees (aaargh) but guess other jointing compounds are definitely not possible.
So I have looked at the link above .... the amount of reading is daunting ... but I gather the choices are:

For porous natural stone -
Dry Treat (neutral)
Weiss StainProtect Profi (neutral)
Lithofin MN StainStop (matt/ barely damp look)

For crystalline natural stone
Sio-Seal from RR Stone (neutral)
Weiss StainProtect Profi (neutral)
Lithofin MN StainStop (matt/ barely damp look)

As I would really like the finish to bind the sand too - is there any particular one you would recommend?

Thanks very much for any help.
goinggrey

Tony McC
Site Admin

The Argent, as pretty as it is, can't be classified as natural stone. It's just a concrete with an exposed granite aggregate, so you need a good quality concrete block sealant and there are few (if any!) better than Resiblock.

I'm surprised Mr Resiblock himself hasn't jumped in to offer you a free sample....I'll give him a nudge for you :~)
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

goinggrey

Thanks .... very kind of you .... was looking at Stain Protect profi ... but its not got a sand stabiliser in it .... so I'll look more closely at the Resiblock site.
Do want to get it right so can't tell you how much I appreciate this ...

Many thanks.
goinggrey

RAPressureWashing

I'd look at Resiblock Superior Matt for this surface.
Roger Oakley BDA(Europe)Member 2006
R&A Pressure Washing Services Ltd
info@rapressurewashing.co.uk
www.rapressurewashing.co.uk

ResiblockBoss

R&A Pressure Washing wrote:I'd look at Resiblock Superior Matt for this surface.
Hi First
I did get the required elbow from the gaffer, apologies for my lateness. But yes the information you got from the guys was spot on. Roger suggests Superior Matt which is definitely one option; additionally on Argent we have also had particular success with Resiecco and Ultra Matt. Why don’t you PM me with your address and I’ll get samples off and you, so you can try before you buy (as they say!)
Craig
ResiblockBoss

goinggrey

I had a look at the Superior Matt but on the PDF it showed a list of unsuitable pavers and one was exposed aggregate ---- could have screamed!
Phoned Resiblock and a very helpful chap called Dean suggested Resiblock Trade which also stabilises the sand... awaiting samples.

Many, many thanks.
goinggrey