Hand digging - Hand digging

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
irishpaving

Hi Rveryone

It's been a while but i'm still about lol.... I have been doing a lot of refurbs last few years but i have one task which is to find a leak..

I have about 7 meters of block paving to gross so was wonering if someone can give me an idea on cost of block removal, hand dig to expose water feed, fix leeak, backfill and relay blocks...

I was thinking around the 300 mark but could be way off so any guidence is very welcome......

Anyways hope you guys are all well and enjoying your work...

Greets

Colm
"I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons."

r896neo

Do you know the exact location of the leak?

IF the blocks are in stretcher bond your laughing but if they are herringbone it can be almost impossible to lift and area in the middle of a paved area.

You would need to lift from the nearest corner and work back which can be a real pain.

Digging to the pipe is relatively quick if you know where the leak is but obviously depth will seriously effect it. If you have to dig along the length to find the leak and the pipe is 700mm down it will be a lot more work.

All in all it will be fast to lift dig and repair but backfilling and faffing with levels plus relaying can be more time consuming than you'd think. EG. You need to stack the blocks in tall piles to let the old jointing sand dry off so it can be brushed off before relaying or if its very mucky scrape each one off wit a trowel.

It will be a lot quicker if the lifted area is near a hard straight edge like the house wall or a kerb perpendicular to the house wall.

Probably about doable in a day and a bit but i'd bulk it out to 2 days as insurance for faffing about. You may also have a small amount of waste to get rid of, a couple of barrows probably.

If you dont know where the leak is along the length and have to dig along to find it then another half day.

Tony McC
Site Admin

Me too! I'd base it one how many days you think you'd be tied up with such a job.

No point in trying to cost out everything on such a fiddly job. If you think you could be in and out in a day, then a day's wage, plus, say 40 quid for materials, a few quid for profit/overheads/fuel/ale and put in a quote as a job price.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

day work Colm
you cannot price what you cannot see mate
if I had to put a price on it ,it would be 7-800 quid plus VAT

LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

rxbren

Tell them there better off replacing from the main/water enter to the house if it's gone in one spot chances are the rest won't be far behind

Edgar

Before we had our drive paved some years ago we decided to have the main water pipe replaced to reduce the chances of getting leaks in the old pipe after the paving was done. The water company did it for about £750 inc VAT. They used a mole device to draw a new blue pipe about 40ft from the street stop cock to the house wall. The new pipe was continued through the wall and under the floor to the middle of the house to the internal stop cock. The ground is clay. I'd guess they could have done the same thing after the drive was paved with very little, if any, disturbance. Better than patching an old pipe I think.

Edgar
Edgar