Am i on the right path??? please paving experts?? - Driveway

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
hellboy777

Hi Everyone,

I'm laying a new gravel driveway to the front of our Victorian terrace. I'm going to use a cellular system (cedagravel or nedagravel).

Dig down approx 200mm - compact earth with whacker plate

lay geo textile fabric

sub base to use is at least 150mm of compacted type 3 with no fines

With a 1/80 slope away from the house to the pavement, with a slight slope to the edges to ensure any excess water drains off to the sides.

bedding layer of 3-6mm clean crushed aggregate

lay cellular system and 50mm of 20mm gravel to fill

I don't intend to install any extra drains (linear / slot etc). Railway sleepers will be used to border the drive.

Does this sound like a sensible plan?? Will the permiable surface provide sufficient drainage?

Should I paint the house bricks (below the top of gravel) with bitumen to ensure non ingress of water? There have been previous issues with damp (another story!)

Any idea what the typical gravel would be used to get a traditional look on a period property??

Thanks in advance.
hellboy

Tony McC
Site Admin

You will have a huge problem trying to place a laying course of 6/3 clean over a Type 3 sub-base. It will just disappear into the ample void space of the Type 3, leaving you with no laying course and a clogged-up sub-base.

There are two solutions:

1 - graduate the laying course, so that you have, say, 50mm of 20/5 over the Type 3 then 25-30mm of the 6/3. Then 20/5 will not settles as far into the Type 3, and then forms a sound layer for the 6/3

2 - use a decent geo-textile (TDP115/Terram/BuildA or similar) over the Type 3 before placing the 6/3

With this form of construction, there simply won't be any "excess water", so no real need for a fall. Constructed properly, there should be no issues with damp, but if you want to adopt a belt'n'braces approach, you could tank the sub-DPC bwk with bitumen or line it with a waffle board.

As for a 'traditional gravel look', that very much depends on where you live. Here in South Lancashire, it would be limestone chips, gritsone chips or Cheshire pink river gravel. In that London, as discussed in another thread this week, it would be that bloody hoggin!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

hellboy777

A reply from the Gaffer! Thanks.

Sounds like the easiest option is the geo-textile. I've not purchased the materials yet so if you think I should order something else then i'm all ears??

You say no fall is required, does that mean that I can lay the drive totally flat or you mean there is no need for a camber?

I see you're up in the N West, I'm intending on laying 25m2 patio of york stone (cost dependent) can you direct me to a reputable supplier (i'm south Manchester).

God knows where us novices' would be without places like this. Great community and a truely unreal amount of usefull information.

Thanks Tony
hellboy

Tony McC
Site Admin

Use the geo-textile. It's simpler when working with your chosen materials.

No fall is just that: no fall. No camber, no slope, no gradient. No fall!

New Yorkstone or reclaimed?

hellboy777

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply, no fall! Music to my ears pal.

We've decided to leave the York Stone for a few years, we'd be leaving ourselves pretty short for other projects.

We're going to use gravel (cell system) for the patio as well. Without going too close to the footings, it looks like I'll only be able to manage 100mm of compacted type 3 for the sub-base. Is this sufficient for a porous patio without extra drainage?

I'm in south manchester, any chance you can point me in the direction of place to get the materials, missed delivery this week with the place I was looking at.

Thanks again
hellboy

Tony McC
Site Admin

Benchmark in Stockport or Landscape World in Widnes

hellboy777

Cheers Tony,

Had a look at both and rang round a few, no DTP3 or 4/20 washed limestone.

Will persevere!! Thanks for the help.
hellboy

hellboy777

Sorry to be a pain in the ass but I'm unable to source the TYPE 3 so with be being on a VERY tight schedule I am going to opt for MOT type 1, as i can get it delivered this weekend.

A couple of final questions before I start digging in the morning;

1. My drive is 5m x 5m (victorian terrace). The construction will be GeoTextile / 150mm MOT (compacted)/ 20mm sharp sand / nedagravel stabiliser with 50mm of gravel. Rope style edging.

Do I require a fall in the drive and extra drainage? (currently there is a natural fall to the road) There isn't an area for a soak away.

2. The patio is 23m2. Construction will be 75mm MOT / 30mm gravel. Rope style edging.

Can i simply have the fall toward the lawn, ensuring any excess water doesn't sit against the house wall?

Please let me know your thoughts. Hopefully thats the plan and I'll be cracking on first thing.

Thanks everyone, you've been a great help.
hellboy

Tony McC
Site Admin

No falls necessary with gravel surfaces, but there's no harm in having a very gentle fall. Definitely not more than 1:80, otherwise the gravel will run downhill with the water!

I'm surprised LW had no Type 3. I'll see if I can track down any......