Fuel cards - Any good?

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
Forestboy1978

Anyone with experience of them. Is there much of a saving?

Ta

michaelthegardener

dunno nowt about them but have you got a Costco petrol station near you ? well worth the membership just for what u save on fuel :p

rxbren

I use to get calls every week for various fuel cards but the savings weren't great as have a few local supermarkets for near enough the same price

Dave_L
Site Admin

Waste of time, use a credit card and use your station of choice. I'm speaking from direct experience.
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

Tony McC
Site Admin

I think the only advantage is when you're running a few vans or wagons so you can give them to the drivers allowing them to fuel up but not run amok with your dosh, like they could with a company credit or debit card.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Dave_L
Site Admin

Tony McC wrote:I think the only advantage is when you're running a few vans or wagons so you can give them to the drivers allowing them to fuel up but not run amok with your dosh, like they could with a company credit or debit card.
Indeed, that is true. But for the small business a credit card makes more sense. Don't believe what they say, no upfront charge for the card, they are sneaky twats, they'll get you with somewhere around £24 a card per year.......
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

bit pointless unless you have 7-8 motors on the road.
we had them years ago ,but the specified garage was in dunstable, so when we were working in hemel or hitchin it meant a long drive just to get fuel
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Nigel Walker

I run 3 vehicles. I use around 200 litres of diesel per week between all 3 vehicles
I have 3 Esso Business Fuel Cards. I save between 4.5 p and 7.5p a litre on diesel at my local Esso garage, depending on my current price from the fuel cards - the price is set every Friday for the following 7 days
It costs me £12 each per year for the cards = £36. They take 0.5% commission on what I purchase, which based on £10k a year = £50.

It costs me a total of £86 per year to have the cards, but I save around £600 per year in fuel. No brainer really !

Maybe other people get their fuel cheaper than I can at my local garage. At the moment it is 114.9 p per litre for diesel at my local esso. My card price is 107.7.

msh paving
Site Admin

i used to use uk fuels card but only local place fro me was morrisons card was 2p a litre cheaper but morrisons had a 1p surcharge per litre and no morrisons more points,
i now use allstar card 3p/l cheaper can use at every local pump and gets morrison points too, cost £19 on off charge there is also garage and other discounts with it
MSH :)
paving, mini-crusher, mini-digger hire and groundwork
http://mshpaving.co.uk

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

different strokes for different folks I guess
we have a lot of choices round here Nigel and fuel can vary up to 10p a litre, I find filling up when i am between 80-50 miles from empty works best so the first petrol station I see gets a visit
Its a time and motion thing for me,dont want to be making special visits,IYKWIM,but have 5 within 1.5 miles of me
cheers LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE