Self Binding Gravel

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
68-1093879188

I am intending to lay a new driveway using scalpings with Coxwell self binding gravel (SBG) on the top.

I have 2 MHC's and was wondering if I can fit a recess cover and fill it with the SBG.

Unfortunantly one of them lies directly under the wheel tracks of the car.

Do you think it would be possible to fill the recess tray with a cement base and then 'stick' a layer of the SBG on the top of this to make it look like solid SBG?

The only thing I can think of about this solution is that the 'flex' in the recess tray will lead to severe cracking of the cement/SBG mix.

Any ideas peeps? I'd be very grateful. :)

84-1093879891

Hi Denny,

thanks for the comments in the Visitor Book, by the way. :)

I wouldn't bother using a cement-bound material in the recess trays. Fill them to about 30mm below the top with DTp1, pack that down firmly, and then use the SBG (hoggin) as a top dressing. It might need topping up occasionally - it's always worth keeping a half agg-bag of the hoggin somewhere out of the way, as, when you come to top up the drive, as you will, you can never ever get a colour match!

If the tray flexes a lot when trafficked, you can get a strengthening brace welded to the base - we've done this on Recess Tray Covers that have been paved with tarmac.