Question

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
Forestboy1978

Do you think a 1 ton ratchet strap will be sufficient to hold 80kg if it's under tension when doing an emergency stop at say 50mpg?

I have nothing strong enough to attach a 5 tonner to that wouldn't just snap anyway or I'd use a 5 ton.

Also do you think a stump grinder could break through 3/4 inch ply and then the steel bulkhead of my van in a collision?

Ta

Forestboy1978

oh

Everything gets pulled in backwards to handlebars are facing the bulkhead first cos it's easier to pull and obviously the rear end of a stump grinder is less aerodynamic than the front end.

~Ta again

digerjones

I would think if you get it hard up against the bulkhead it won't have any momentum to do any damage. The strap should be used to stop it falling over. I've moved plenty of stuff over the years, artic loader work skip etc
dylan

Forestboy1978

digerjones wrote:I would think if you get it hard up against the bulkhead it won't have any momentum to do any damage. The strap should be used to stop it falling over. I've moved plenty of stuff over the years, artic loader work skip etc
Hmmm, I don't! It's about 2 ft away so when I climb over it to get out I don't have to then push it in any further.

Perhaps I need to remount my straps hmm.

Ta

dig dug dan

Your van floor should have tie down points. Use. Strap on the back to pull it backwards, and one on the front to pull it forwards.
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

Forestboy1978

dig dug dan wrote:Your van floor should have tie down points. Use. Strap on the back to pull it backwards, and one on the front to pull it forwards.
I put a false floor in mate. No idea where those fastening things are.

I knew I would make at least one screw up. I'll have a look around see if I can see them and drill out the floor around them so they can be used.

rxbren

Not all vans have them tie down points
It's hard to say how it would react in a crash I tried looking before and the only crash video I could find was a fifth gear one with a lose bulk bag in the back cant remember if it had a steel bulkhead but it made a mess.
Onl issue with bulk head is its ot the thickest thing in the world keep any long bars or pointy stuff as low as possible any tie downs havr the same issue body panels only 1mm or so, which realistically could just tear in a big smash if you can get tight up to the bulk head there would be less chamce of it moving.
Or put it on a small trailer which also brings the other question ive always wondered how secure a mini digger would be in the event of a crash weren't so bothered when had the transit tipper as a lot of heavy chassis between back and cab but the l200 is lower and shorter