Bitmac overlay - Changing spec midway

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
Gazza

I recently extended the existing bitmac driveway on two sides to give more parking - all now edged and new bits filled with concrete.

So basically I have a patchwork of bitmac and concrete slab!

The original intent was to ovelay both with a top coat of Resin bound stuff - but after pondering some more all bitmac may be the way to go

I've read about SBA and really the issue is putting this down over the new concrete slabs and over the tatty but sound existing bitmac drive to make a uniform surface- there would ony be 18mm ish on top of the concrete as it has to abut some edging pavers - is this enough ? although if need be I could grind the concrete deeper

Also is it a non - starter for a competent DIY'r to do meaning it's better to get someone in to lay it?

msh paving
Site Admin

SMA is not a diy job, simple MSH :)
paving, mini-crusher, mini-digger hire and groundwork
http://mshpaving.co.uk

Dave_L
Site Admin

6mm bitmac at 18mm thick?? That's a traveller spec! Miles too thin. You should b looking at a minimum of 30mm if you are overlaying concrete.

Photo of the area would be a great help.
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

Gazza

Hi - The drive is wearing its winter crud but these should give an idea of where it's at - the boundary between the tarmac & concrete was edging stones - I cut them down roughly to here the level was going to be rather than remove them and the underlying concrete - the intention was always to grind the slab and edge to make a seamless joint (as well as level the concrete up)

As I said - the intent as to put on 18mm of resin bound but changed my mind over winter !