Permeable sandstone sets to suds

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
blake7even

Hi,

Didn't know if I should put this in drainage or not but here goes.

I am building a circa 25sqm driveway. At the side of the drive were I could put a soakaway is only 4.5m from my house and up against a 1920's brick wall so not an option.

I'm wanting to use a mix of 100x100 and 100x200 50mm thick sandstone setts.

I've read all there is on the site and know I'll have to lay MOT3 zero fines sub base and a permeable no fines laying course.

With the large gap between the rough hand cut setts and no bonding to sett them would they move about? is there a good method for laying permeable setts?

I have a plan B in Bradstone infilta concrete blocks but it's the same money for real stone.

Thanks for any and all help.

Regards,

Paul.

lemoncurd1702

Can't see it working. The only stone paving I've seen is either laid on a bed of mortar with sealed joints or laid as traditional block paving with sanded joints.
Understand your issues with the soakaway but 4.5m from the house should be enough.

Or have you considered using Aqua cells or similar which you can install under your drive.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

GGG

Hi Paul
I always use Gapfast spacers when doing permeable paving. If you go to their website I believe they will send you some free samples www.gapfast.com/sudsflow/
Gary
GGG

blake7even

Hi Gary,

I saw gapfast. I put up a question on the paving section about using them with handcut 'cobble' Setts and was informed they shoild be laid solid for driveways. So the drive can't be permeable.

Cheers,

Paul

GGG

Definitely not the case mate. It is one product but has two uses. Have a look at that website link I gave and you'll see what I mean. To be fair I have only used them on flag paving (worked really well) so I cant see why they wont work with other types of paving?
Gary
GGG

rxbren

The spacers wont work

GGG

Please elaborate.
GGG

lemoncurd1702

Initially the look to be the answer to having a natural stone sett driveway, but I can't see them working either.
There's no substantial interlock. If you look at manufactured permeable paving there is still a significant amount of contact between the blocks which prevent rotation. Barely!
There will be no surface contact using these spacers and I don't think those spacers and a bit of gravel is going to prevent movement in any direction.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

blake7even

Lemoncurd,

That is what I have come to understand. The sets are 50mm square cubes and unless I lay them with fixed support they will move about. I work on my own cars so they with be on axle stands and on jacks so I need them to be stable.

I am going to lay them on 50mm bed over 150-200mm MOT1 and have two cells off to the side by the wall. Looks to be the best compromise.

Cheers.

Paul.

DempseyLiverpool

Stone setts should be laid rigid on grit sand/cement or concrete bed with mortar or resin joints. I would never use spacers on setts.
Dempsey Landscaping Liverpool

Natural stone paving & driveway professionals

http://www.landscapingbydempsey.co.uk

Tel: 0151 724 5245