Resin bound on tarmac

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
John25

a few people I've spoke to say that fresh tarmac needs to be left a good few days before overlaying with resin whereas other people overlay the next day without problems. Is there a right & wrong way or is it just people's personal opinions

seanandruby
Site Admin

I'm not sure if there would be a contra reaction between tarmac and resin but as on most things it might be a good idea to leave it a couple of days.
sean

John25

Yeah we usually do leave it a couple of days just to be safe. I didn't know if there was any science behind it though or just do it in case.

seanandruby
Site Admin

found this
If you press the link for resin bonded they recommend you leave tarmac for a month for oils etc: to dry out. Then sealed with resin acrylic. Hope this helps.
sean

John25

I'd heard it was something to do with oils but I didn't know if there was any truth in it. A month seems a bit ott though. My brother in law works for one of the biggest resin driveway company's in Yorkshire & they only leave them a couple of days.

Nigel Walker

You can install RESIN BOUND on a newly laid tarmac surface without any problems. We normally install our SureSet Resin Bound on tarmac the day after the tarmac has been laid.
SureSet have recommended this method and I have had no problems in the many installations that I have done

Installing RESIN BONDED may be a different story. As I do not do this method of resin surfacing, I cannot pass comment on whether you have to wait for a period of time or not

A lot of people get confused with both the resin systems and call them all the same name

Resin Bound is where the aggregates and resin are mixed together using a Special Pan Mixer and then hand trowelled to a seamless surface between 16 and 22mm thick - depending on usage.
Resin Bonded is where the resin is applied to the existing surface using a roller and then a fine grade of aggregate is scattered over the resin and the left to set. This method is only a few millimetres thick.
Resin Bonded is basically a cheap and nasty method that I wont touch with a barge pole.
Resin Bound is the more expensive, but more professional and longer lasting surface - If done correctly !

Nigel