Decorative face on  breeze block retaining wal! - Using yorkstone off-cuts

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
Jimmy Conway

Hi,

I could possibly have access to offcuts from reclaimed yorkstone paving, some lovely colours and tones.

Got me thinking if it would be possible to use them as decorative face in front of a small breeze block wall that would be amax 3 courses high laid flat. Offcuts range from 36 inch long, 10 inch wide, 1.5 - 3 inch thick.

This would mean the sawn face would be on display.

If possible finished look would be a small Yorkstone paving wall (made from off cuts) acting as retaining wall for a sandstone paved area and the first course of sandstone patio paving would combine as coping stone for decorative wall.

Hope this makes sense and someone has done similar before or can help
Thank-you for helping.

lemoncurd1702

Are you laying them flat or are you thinking of using them as a cladding. If cladding you'd need some serious shit to stick them with.
If the former I've done similar by building a block retaining wall and facing it with pennant to achieve a drystone wall look. Put wall ties in the wall or screw ins if wall already up and backfill with mortar or concrete as you build.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

lemoncurd1702

Cheers
Lemoncurd

Jimmy Conway

That's really smart. You must of been pleased with that!!

I'm thinking something similar just not as tall or long. I was planning laying stones in same way as you but not the drystone way you have them but laying them on a 1/2 inch or so bed of mortar to allow for varying thicknesses.

Thanks for info.

Thanks for backfill tip on using concrete.
Thank-you for helping.

lemoncurd1702

I was pleased when I finished it. It's surprisingly, mind blowingly, tedious work.
And believe it or not, that flat bed stuff is more difficult than using random rubble.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

I think the dry stone look is better
IMHO
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE