Sub contracting

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
Forestboy1978

Was contacted by a company a few weeks ago about working for them. Another contacted me yesterday.

A little pissed cos they contacted ME, and then ask me to fill out ridiculous application forms showing qualifications I've never even heard of..

What are the pros and cons of this arrangement?

Don't really need the work or like the idea of boosting a large companies profits but I like to keep an open mind about things.

What are you guys views on this? Will it just be a pain in my ass. Will they offer me a pitance for my machinery and labor. What do you reckon?

sy76uk

Depends on the company.
I spent 20 years as a subby with ups ands downs. When the works good the money will be and vice versa.
Can be very useful to be in someone's good books if work runs short, especially in winter months.
The good thing about it is that if you do a day, week or month and you don't like it you move on as your still your own boss.

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

I dont like subbying per se
however if the money and work is good I am both feet in
but it has to be very good
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

lemoncurd1702

Probably all cons and no pros.
You'll be lucky to receive any payments within 90 days.
If work is good with you, I wouldn't waste the ink on the form.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

sy76uk

The firm I used to work for only asked a week in hand and we'd clear at lest £700 a week after tax and fuel until the ressess on hit.
I had my first taste of going direct with the house builders a couple of months ago and that was lovely :D

Forestboy1978

I may just cut through all the b******t and say give me £160 + costs, payment no later than 2 weeks and I'll fill out your forms.

rxbren

Did alot of fencing on new builds a couple of years ago was a nightmare never paid on time they constantly measured up wrong and due to it all being metal sent wrong panels.
The issues with site work are tickets for near enough needed for everything I have a cpcs tracked 360 ticket and relevant public liability and employers insurances but need to change a cut off saw blade you need a ticket, need a scaffold tower another ticket, need to have every piece of ppe regardless if nothing about.
Was asked to do some other bits for another company but they wanted me to be a safe contractor member which was just too much hassle at the time

Dave_L
Site Admin

Yeah I've had to go SafeContractor, what a run-around that is!
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page