Reclaimed setts - bedding + pointing advice

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
vimtokid

Hi,

first up a massive thank you to everyone who contributes to the Paving Expert site - i'm in the final stage of laying my drive and i would not have had the confidence to attempt this if it hadn't been for the help and info on this site.

I'm after some advice for the final section which is in reclaimed stone setts that vary in depth from 100 - 200mm.

I have laid a MOT1 type sub base and i was originally planning on flexible construction using sharp sand with bitumen joints. With the setts being very different thicknesses (see photo below) i'm oncerned about how they will settle over time. In some areas, the bedding depth will only be 30mm, in others as much as 100mm.

What is your advice when it comes to a bedding material and for pointing the setts?

Thanks,

Richard

[IMG]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums....MG]

cookiewales

lay them on 4/1 sharp sand cement semi dry tap in each one as you go wet at end of day will be solid good luck :) :)look on the main site laying setts all the info is there and some vids

Edited By cookiewales on 1446702360
Originalstonepaving.com

The very best in natural stone paving in new and reclaimed materials
M: 07968 582231

vimtokid

Thanks for the advice cookiewales :)

vimtokid

Hi,

i've now laid the setts (took longer than planned thanks to the wet weather we've been seeing) and now i'm sorting out how best to point them.

I've looked on the site and it sounds like a modified bitumen will leave a nice, traditional looking finish.

On this page it mentions that a modified bitumen is preferred for sloping sections as the molten bitumen is less prone to flow out of the joints. The slope at one section is 1:6.

Does anyone have any practical tips or advice for applying a modified bitumen to a sloping site like this?

Thanks,

Richard

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

dont do it
if you read that page carefully you will see that bitumen was ok for horses and carts
1:6 it will run out the bottom and make a mess
sand and cement or resin mortar will be much more suitable
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

vimtokid

Thanks for your advice LLL, that's really helpful.

After watching the video of it being applied, i'm thinking of using the Rompox d1. Romex are saying to fill the joints with clean stone to leave a 30mm depth of the D1.

Do you have any tips? One concern i have is that the sett tops are quite uneven so removing all the pointing material will be more difficult compared with a flatter/smoother surface.

cheers,

Richard