Greywater drainage/soakaway - Any experience with greywater filter sys

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
mikeb54

This is my first post here. Probably the best site for building information for the novice! Am researching foul water drainage alternatives to a current shared septic tank and discovered Greywater Filter systems from BioLan. We have a small plot of only 22.5m long by 5.5m wide and we intend to demolish the existing old timber chalet and replace with 2 Bed timber home. Current septic tank is very old and feedback suggests not big enough to cope. Hence looking at Dry composting toilet and greywater filter/dispersal. My research is giving me a headache as there are so many regs from local auth and Env Agency.

Question: Will it be possible to install drainage trench down the side of the building which will also be used as access to rear? There will be approx. 1 to 1.5m between building and neighbour boundary. Intention is to feed this into a soakaway pit. I'm guessing a test of soil permeability will be first step...

Apologies for length of post.

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

we installed a toilet at our local allotments from natsol
http://natsol.co.uk/

however they are not very aesthetic and need emptying once in a while (every 2 years with 180 plot holders using it)

the overflow from the tank just goes into a soakway
cheers LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

mikeb54

We're looking at the Sun-Mar brand or maybe the Separett. http://www.toiletrevolution.com/composting-toilets/

My main issue is with the greywater drainage. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with installing these and mainly the dispersal/soakaway works in a small location.

Tony McC
Site Admin

As is so often the sace, it all depends on the permeability of the existing ground.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

mikeb54

Things have changed rapidly. Still looking at a Dry Composting toilet but Building Control say we can use septic tank for grey water :-)) Question now is, does anyone know of a Remote Dry Composting toilet similar to Envirolet but doesn't require such a drop between pan and composter? Maybe one with a pump/macerator?

seanandruby
Site Admin

sean

Mikey_C

I'm guessing it is a new build (due to the level of detailed planning). how about grey water recycling, as in reuse in the dwelling?

Toilet Revolution

The minimum drop distance to from the base of the toilet to the base of the composter using the Sun Mar Centrex 2000 is 889 mm. My view is that it is better to avoid using water (as per pump and macerator) as it increases the volume of the waste and also inhibits composting (too wet).
On the greywater side if you are thinking about a waterless toilet then there is not much point in recycling the greywater as the most common use of this recycled water is to flush a toilet. I suppose you could use septic tank to allow the solids in the greywater to fall out of suspension but seems overkill when you can install a proprietary greywater filter to pretreat the water prior to going to a soakaway
http://www.toiletrevolution.com/greywater-filters/
Patrick