Jcb site master

For the discussion of hand tools, power tools, operated and non-operated plant, and all sorts of kit associated with the paving and drainage trades
Paul1

Hi, a truly brilliant website,
I have a large area of scrub and rubbish to clear and level and am thinking of hireing a JCB for a couple of days. Do in need a licence to operate one ? I am experienced with teleporters and 3 ton mini digers so canot see any problems operating it.

Paul

Tony McC
Site Admin

You'll be remarkably lucky to find anyone willing to let you loose with their Sitemaster! Normally, they come with an experienced driver. Occasionally, a hire company will allow a Sitemaster to be hired out without a driver if they can be certain that it will ONLY be used by an experienced operator.

You might think it's a good idea to drive the machine yourself and thereby save the cost of forking out 100 quid or so for a driver, but believe me: an experienced operator will have 3-4 times the productivity of someone unfamiliar with the machine, and what might take you, say, 2 days of frantic effrt on your own,a good driver would have done and dusted by dinnertime of Day 1!

Never underestimate the value of a good machine driver. :D
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

mouldmaker

I have to agree with Tony. I'm competent with a JCB to the point where our local lads will hire me one without a driver, but competent and proficient are different things. An experienced operator will work at least twice as fast as me, and do a neater job.