New tarmac - Rather open surface

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
Libby

Hi, I wondered if someone can give me information about tarmac drives. We had our drive done a few days ago and it looks good, I think they did a good job. It was hand laid hot tarmac and they used a roller and a vibration machine and had 7 men doing the work.

My question is, the texture of the finish seems rather open and course. We were advised to use 10mm tarmac instead of what was down previously which was 6mm. We were told that it would be harder wearing. My only concern is that the open texture could cause weed seeds to germinate and I would be forever spraying with weedkiller (one of the reasons I didn't have block paving).

Can anyone tell me whether this is ok/normal with 10mm tarmac as I can see that roads in the area seem to have a much closer texture than my new drive.

Thanks
Libby

PS - now I am a bit worried. We drove on the new drive for the first time since it was laid this afternoon, very slowly & we know not to turn the wheels while stationary. This was over 48 hours since it was laid. There are tyre marks where we came in!! They have not indented the tarmac but are quite noticeable. Should this happen! - a bit worried now. Also the men left streaks of mud on the surface, I think where they had gone over the edges near the boarders, some muddy footprints too, will these come off. Have tried to remove with a broom but that doesn't help.

Can someone give me some advice please.

Thanks!

rxbren

Your best bet is to put some pictures up so people can see any issues you may have

Libby

These are some photos I have taken this morning - 3 days after tarmac was laid. Now that the tarmac has dried, some of the marks I thought were mud are actually scrapes on the surface. Photos of new drive

I think there are 7 or 8 photos attached to the link. I don't know whether I am being fussy & suspect over the course of a few years the drive will look far worse, but I expected it to look good for a few months at least.

Wonder if someone can get back to me on this - would really appreciate it.

Dave_L
Site Admin

Tyre marks on anew bitmac surface are to be expected. Nothing to worry about.

Looks like a reasonable job, OK 10mm can be a bit heavy duty for a domestic driveway but it will be very hard wearing.

Relax, you have nothing to worry about.
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

Libby

Thanks Dave - that has put my mind at rest. Yes - it does look a bit heavy duty - not sure it was what I was expecting, but if it lasts that will be ok.

One last question please. Yesterday I ran the hose on the drive to try and wash off some of the muddy footprints - this morning there is still water sitting on the drive, which hasn't run off or evaporated. Is this normal on a new drive and will this disappear over time. I was wondering whether this is just due to all the oils that need to evaporate.

Thanks again for getting back to me.

Pablo

Water has a higher surface tension on new Tarmac due to the oils so what looks like a puddle actually isn't. Water collecting in a dip looks different to water lying on a flat surface.
Can't see it from my house

Dave_L
Site Admin

Indeed, new bitmac 'holds' water to an extent as Pablo has said, completely normal.
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page