Gravel/shingle drive - drainage

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
greentown

I have a front garden that slopes gently towards my house. There is a gutter downpipe draining into a hole I dug at the moment and no other drainage.

I'm getting a new driveway and want to sort out the drainage too.

I was going to have block paving all over with linear drain channels taking the downpipe and rainfall into a soakaway and a small french drain around the wall of the house itself.

Cost is possiblly a bit too high for me so I'm now thinking shingle drive, block paved footpath, soakaway for downpipe.

In order to stop the driveway rainfall pooling at the bottom of the slope and near the house, I wondered whether you can still have linear drain channels with a gravel drive? Or will they just fill up with stones?
Also, would a shingle drive just go right up to the wall of the house - with no need for separate French drain?

All the options contractors have put forward have been helpful but left me struggling to decide what for best.

Pablo

Linear channels in gravel are pointless since the water won't get into them,
Gravel on a slope will break your heart over the next few years, have you considered bitmac as a cheaper alternative to block paving?
French type drains piped to the soakaway within your sub base under the gravel will deal with any water pooling. However, if the water is currently pooling within your property then it's possible that the soil is not free draining enough for a soakaway, unless it's huge!
Can't see it from my house

greentown

Thanks Pablo - I think it might have to be a huge soakaway the way things are going.
Fair point on the gravel - after the first few months of raking the interest probably wanes.
Haven't thought of bitmac - will look up.