Resin-bound surface lifts after sealing - Long term effects

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
tyke

I had a resin bound drive laid in November 2013. It looked spectacular until a six foot crack developed at the start of the drive in August 2015, with a further four foot crack at right angles to it. The installer came back promptly, chased out the crack and re-filled it but this completely spoils the look because the colour does not match. He said he'd come back if it didn't blend over time.

He left his mate to "seal" (I think) the whole drive. To my horror, the sprayed drive started lifting, with about 6 large dish-sized shapes rising from the base like blisters. These were elevated 3-4 inches off the base at the highest point. These eventually settled back but are not properly adhered to the base at some points and I don't see how they can be solid in the longer term. I have five year guarantee but the supplier clearly does not want to resurface the whole drive.

Any theories as to why the spraying with sealant (I think) caused the surface to lift so dramatically? Is it inevitably damaged as a result? Will the colour of the newly repaired cracks blend in over time. Any advice welcome for my discussion with the supplier?
Don Rhodes

higgness
Site Admin

If you could put up some pictures it will help.

Dave_L
Site Admin

Very difficult to comment without pictures; but it doesn't sound right at all!
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

higgness
Site Admin

Posted on behalf of Don

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums....ati.jpg

Thanks for getting back to me.

re: the cracks:
There are two pictures of the main cracks. The rule is about 6 foot to give you a sense of the scale. There are a couple more small squares that have been chased out and also do not match any more.

re: the lifting from the base
As I said in the post, the sealing of the drive which led to the lifting from the base in about 6 areas was done a few hours before we went on holiday so I never thought to take pictures. I thought they'd be there when I got back but when we returned a week later they'd flattened out. There's just one area (picture attached) where the raised area has not adhered right and looks a bit crumbly but my fear is that all the areas that raised in what I can only describe as soup bowl size "blisters" will be weak and crumble over time.

All in all my worry is the future appearance of a drive that is not two years old yet. It will look like a patchwork. Not what we wanted or paid for. Any advice welcome. I feel a bit hung out to dry because I've no experience of resin drives.
Again, many thanks for your interest.

Captain Concrete

Sorry but IMHO if you want a solid, tough long lasting drive don't get resin , Seen many fail normally when a dust cart or similar turns round on your drive, often caused by poor sub base.
Been in concreting for 22 years

Pablo

Unfortunately solvent/acrylic based sealants very quickly disolve resin and should never be used. You must use the manufacturers own products only I'm afraid, so your contractor is gonna have to give your your money back or do it again.
If I need to lift resin bound or bonded stuff ,I pour Thompsons patio seal on it and it's goes soft within an hour. Saves a lot of graft.
Can't see it from my house