Carpet stone patio (again!)

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
bfgjohno

Good afternoon.
I'd be really grateful for your advice.
We have a 1750's Yorkshire Dales house with a patch of gravel (3.5m x 3m) beside an area of flagstones (3.5m x 2m). Rather than extending the flags we want to replace the gravel with Rustic Red Carpet Stones. We are keen to get a slightly undulating surface (to look old) and have sand/moss/thyme between the stones. The gravel area runs up to the house (no damp course but a metre below floor level (suspended floor), There is a soak away for the roof under the gravel.
We are amateurs at this.
We are thinking of leaving a 20cm or so wide gravelled area between house wall and carpet stones (with a weed preventing membrane beneath.
We were planning to dig down and lay a weed resistant membrane then 50mm of sharp sand and bed the carpet stones on top of this before brushing in sharp sand between (as per http://www.aggregate.com/documen....es.pdf) The edges will be bounded by some small flags which can be mortared to prevent sand spilling out through gaps.
Drainage is my concern and my wife doesn't want a big slab of concrete in her garden (even if covered with carpet stones)!
Has anyone used this method? Any thoughts/concerns? Is the gravel gap big enough/the right think?
All the best
John

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

lot of sand bedding and very little cement there John
I can see what you are trying to create but if laid on just sand with sand brushed in it will be a mass of weeds in no time

a picture would help immensely

LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

DempseyLiverpool

Reclaimed Yorkstone setts only way to go.
Dempsey Landscaping Liverpool

Natural stone paving & driveway professionals

http://www.landscapingbydempsey.co.uk

Tel: 0151 724 5245

bfgjohno

Images you asked for , images you get!
Thanks for the help.
John