Pointing setts again...

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
r896neo

So, i am just finishing laying a small driveway 45m of reclaimed granite setts. I had originally planned to use larsen fjm which is basically the same as flowpoint.

Having laid the setts I now feel they would look better with a little more show by having the pointing sitting 10mm below the surface. This is not easy to acheive with the fjm because it goes off so quick.

I am considering using a normal Mortar slurry as i feel more confident having time to work it. I have pointed a few times using a standard slurry mortar but wondered if anyone had ever tried a surface retarder as you would with exposed agg concrete.

My concern is that the copious amounts of water needed to clean the lot will leave a soft top to the joint as i wash the cement out.

So hence the retarder thought. I could spread the slurry and then spray the whole surface with retarder and hose off the next day.

Opinions? Cheers

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

thought we discussed this a while back and sugar water was the preferred option
fill the joints with slurry and then spray with sugar water
lave a while then hose off
I would try a test patch first
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

r896neo

No i was more asking had anyone done it with mortar? I'm all good for the actual retarding, I have a liquid surface retarder from larsen but i was more wanting to know had anyone tried the technique?

As i said I am wondering what will give a harder final joint, normal slurry pointing washing off as it goes off a bit and risk washing off lots of cement and having a sandy crust on the top or will retarding the lot allow for a better curing with less water fired on it.

Obviously i dont fancy raking out 45m/sq of setts if it doesn't quite work.

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

think cookie does something like this before he tops up with the expensive gear
as you say runs the risk of the joints looking a bit pants
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

cookiewales

lutonlagerlout wrote:think cookie does something like this before he tops up with the expensive gear
as you say runs the risk of the joints looking a bit pants
LLL
We use a 4/1 sharp sand cement slurry tip on setts then use hard bristle brush to lower to desired height use spray gun on sprinkle this cleans of top of setts does not leave soft top even on the steep drive did not wash out ps 10 mm is trip hazard for ladies
Originalstonepaving.com

The very best in natural stone paving in new and reclaimed materials
M: 07968 582231

surreyzone

Interesting comment re 10mm being a trip hazard for the ladies!

I am contemplating pouring Flowpoint grout for my granite set driveway and agree with the aesthetic argument of lowering the grout a touch and showing the very top edge of the stone.

We tried slurry grouting but it was taking 40 mins cleaning per bag and we have 290m to finish. The grout was also 'taking over' and the stone seemed to disappear.

Flowpoint goes off too quick in this weather. We were told to add ice to the water and this did help. we were told working time in 20 degrees is 5 mins - 10 degress = 10 mins - 5 degress = 20 minutes. So very heat sensitive. Apparently Flowpoint change the mix to suit the time of year too!
rogan