Parking area tarmac issue - Parking area tarmac issue

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
Mara

Hi,

I park in a parking area to take about 5 cars which weas tarmaced early April. There are only 2 cars reguarly parked there.

However, in the last couple of weeks tear marks are appearing in other parts of the parking area - I assume by people using the area as a turning place.

The contractor used the following to resurface the area:

Regrade and compact the existing sub base.
Supply and lay a new stone sub base and compact.
Supply and lay a 20mm aggregate dense binder course bitmacadam 125 pen limestone material at 50mm and compact.
Supply and lay a 6mm aggregate dense surface wearing course bitmacadam 50 pen limestone material at 30mm and power roll.

Does anyone have any idea why the surface is becoming damaged or whether the area was surfacted using appropriate materies etc...
Mara

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

can you post a picture Mara
the spec sounds good
as long as it was adhered to
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

lemoncurd1702

Maybe the wearing course could have been gritstone, but don't really see limestone being the problem on a domestic application.

Give it a few weeks and see if markings are still there, my guess is that they fade.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

Mikey_C

presuming your in xchurch in dorset, this has happened in the last 2 weeks and you think people are using it as a turning circle. I would hazard a guess it is the heat softening the tarmac and the turning/power steering tearing it up. a photo would help confirm.

Mara

Not sure how I post a picture here . If you can advise I'll post one

The top surface has become damaged in several places, all in the same area, about a foot away from parking area boundary with the pavement. I think that maybe it is used as a turning area as there may be no cars parked there duing the day.

The areas are small (about width of tyre), round and about a cars width apart. The top of the surface is wearing away and is gritty.

Near them 4 darker marks have appeared. I assume rubber marks from a car turning on the spot. These areas look as if the top surface will become loose and gritty, but is not particulary damaged at present apart form the tyre marks.

The house is in Boscombe in Dorset. The weather has been warner recently but not been exceedingly hot, therefore I am surpirsed it is happening to be honest, but did wonder about tarmac softening due to the timing of this occuring.

Given that the surface is wearing off and becoming loose / gritty - is there anything that can be done to stop it getting worse?

It is an open area with sufficent room for cars to park lenghtways. Therefore impossible to stop cars using it for turning if it is empty.
Mara

Dave_L
Site Admin

Scuff marks caused by power steering turning when the car is stationary. Any macadam surface will be susceptible to this damage when the weather is hot.

Either prohibit cars from the area, educate people not to turn steering when stationary or you could apply a sealing grit to help limit damage to the new surface.
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

loudog

Sma would have been better

Tony McC
Site Admin

Sounds like a lot of pen oil for this time of year. Was it hand- or machine-laid?
Site Agent - Pavingexpert