Laying blue engineering bricks - Brickwork

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
slowbutrough

I've got a few blue engineering bricks to lay next week and I've seen mentioned on here a few times that people apply diesel or wd40 to them to give them a shiny look/stop mortar staining. Is this correct and if so do you coat them before laying or after? Any pointers appreciated.
michaelp

lemoncurd1702

Sounds plausible but would be concerned of interaction between oil and cement if applied before.
You could sponge the worst off after pointing then a mild acid wash when the mortar is cured.

Care with laying can eliminate the above. Try to get the mortar bed so that it doesn't squeeze out as far as the face. Point up afterwards by placing a small amount of mortar on the pointing iron and pushing into the perp or bed as you progress along the joint.
Takes a some getting used to though.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

seanandruby
Site Admin

Back in the day when i was serving an apprenticeship of sorts, one of my first jobs was to go down manholes after the brickie was finished and shine the channels and every brick from bottom to top with aniseed oil. They had to be spotless in those days, i still pride myself on cleaning my manholes and woe betide anyone who walks away from one leaving snots, or not polishing the benching :)
sean

lemoncurd1702

seanandruby wrote:Back in the day when i was serving an apprenticeship of sorts, one of my first jobs was to go down manholes after the brickie was finished and shine the channels and every brick from bottom to top with aniseed oil. They had to be spotless in those days, i still pride myself on cleaning my manholes and woe betide anyone who walks away from one leaving snots, or not polishing the benching :)
Did you mean linseed oil Sean.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

seanandruby
Site Admin

Yes probably, it was almost 50 years ago, to long to remember :) i know it was also used on cricket bats.
sean

lemoncurd1702

seanandruby wrote:Yes probably, it was almost 50 years ago, to long to remember :) i know it was also used on cricket bats.

Linseed it is then.

You'd soon remember if it was aniseed by the pack of dogs following you home every night :laugh:
Cheers
Lemoncurd

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

if it was linseed you have to be careful as with cotton rags it can spontaneously combust

back to the OP

when we lay staffys as LC says keep it as neat as possible
then after you have jointed up use WD40 and a small cloth to polish the bricks up

I have seen lads using diesel but WD40 does a nice job

I dont like putting acid near brickwork as it etches the mortar
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

seanandruby
Site Admin

Slowie, i was only reminiscing m8. Remember i said " i used to shine the brickwork in brick built manholes". I have never used it on externaI works, it takes for ever to dry and could be patchy and streaky. Personally i wouldn't use deisal oil. Keeping the brickwork clean in the first place is a top tip.
sean

seanandruby
Site Admin

lemoncurd1702 wrote:
seanandruby wrote:Yes probably, it was almost 50 years ago, to long to remember :) i know it was also used on cricket bats.

Linseed it is then.

You'd soon remember if it was aniseed by the pack of dogs following you home every night :laugh:
Wondered why i pulled the dogs in the night clubs :p :laugh:
sean

sy76uk

A brick told me baby oil does a good job on blues. Haven't tried it though.

Tony McC
Site Admin

Olive oil - gives a temporary stain-protecting sheen but breaks down fairly quickly (3-4 weeks) to return the bwk to its natural state.

Linseed oil is for cricket bats and decades-old tins of paint while Baby Oil is just kinky!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

in what ways boss? :D
WD40 works well and lasts a good while
we spray it on to a rag then rub the bricks
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE