Mow strip/pathway - Granite cobble mow strip and cobble path

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
levib1

First time poster. I've perused the posts and found so much good information. Just wondering if anyone had comments on my project.

First, I intend to place a mow strip around turf separating the turf from the garden beds. It is curvy and probably 150 feet long around the perimeter. Intent is to use 4 x 4 x 2 granite cobbles played on the 4 x 4 face. I've watched/read about mow strips at the paving expert site. My questions:

1) If I wanted to pour a concrete base for my mow strip cobbles, how would I attach the cobbles to the concrete? Mortar, thinset, epoxy, construction adhesive?

2) What should I use for a grout between the cobbles? Mortar, epoxy grout, other ideas?

3) One portion of the mow strip will also be the edge for a cobble patio or landing outside our shed - the cobbles of the mow strip will also be part of the cobbled area leading up to the shed. Hope this makes sense. For the cobbles at the patio, what would be the best way to set them? Over concrete, a sand base, a mortar base?

Maybe I shouldn't even pour the concrete base. My reason for the concrete was to give me an equal height base for the cobbles all around the yard, as i could shoot in (transit) the form boards for the curvy concrete sub base. That way my top of cobbles equal all around.

Thanks for any information,

Levi
LB

Tony McC
Site Admin

Lay the *setts* (they are dressed stone so thay are not effing cobbless!!!) directly onto the concrete - see this page and video for the principles involved.

For a mowing strip, there is no real need to joint the *setts*, but if you wish, use the same material as the bedding.

Setts should be laid directly onto a mortar or concrete bed....se the main website
Site Agent - Pavingexpert