Jointing

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
Tony McC
Site Admin

Superb for jointing setts - best polymeric I ever seen but, as you say it isn't cheap. However, I have been assured by no-one less than the MD of Romex in Germany that the UK price is competitive with a certain shitey rival that has been berated in the Brew Cabin on many previous occasions.

The Romex is supplied in 25kg tubs, whereas the shitey alternative comes in 20kg packs. When costed out kilo for kilo, there should be almost nothing between them. The UK agent has structured prices ensure they offer value for money.

The biggest diff between Romex and the shitey alternative is that Romex binds to the paving, creating a firm and stable joint, whereas the other jollop only binds to itself and therefore forms a 'plug' within the joint rather than sealing the joint effectively. Further, the Romex doesn't go greeny-black with algae and lichen the minute your back is turned.

I've been following installations of Romex for the past 15 months and it's all been positive. So much so that I've invited the manufacturer to sponsor a feature page on the website for next year, as I honestly believe it is a superb jointing option for decorative or prestige sett work.

Try to calculate how much it costs in time and materials to joint setts using other materials. Obviously, a slurry mortar wet grout is cheaper and just a bit slower, but it's nowhere near as clean and tidy. Pitch is considerably slower, and traditional pointing is mind-numbingly slow.

Assuming you're laying cubes, or setts just 100mm deep, you can fill the joint to half depth with a dry or semi-dry sand/cement mix, press it down into the joints and then top-up with the Romex, to ensure you get as much coverage as poss.

John Ecky, who you met at the Karting Night, has just used it on a job in Rochdale and I'm hoping to hear how he got on with it some time this week. I had wanted to photo and document the installation but I was still in that bloody London dump when he did it, so, if you decide to give it a go, I'd be really keen to photo-shoot the job.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Tony McC
Site Admin

I reckon I might be able to help. cost-wise, if we can photo the job and use it for the sponsored web-page. I'll check with the boss and let you know.

slickboy

We have used 'Rompox Easy' three times now and are impressed, so are the clients. It has a rough textured surface which may not suit everybody but it does do the job quickly. One added benefit is that it leaves a temporary glaze over the stone, bringing out the colours, which looks great but according to the manufacturers only lasts for several months.
One of my concerns with the 'Rompox Easy' was that the porous texture of the finished joints may attract debris and dirt but after looking at a job we did about 7-8 months ago it seems ok. Haven't tried Rompox's other jointing componds yet but may do on the right job.

slickboy

The joints seemed rock solid, John. We used the grey or 'natural' colour stuff and the colour was maintained. However, it was on a ne'er used small, frontal, decorative area and wasn't down that long so I couldn't vouch for it yet on a heavily trafficked area.I do wonder wether the porous, rough textured surface may attract cr*p in the long haul though.But if Tony says it's reet it's reet.

Tony McC
Site Admin

It's reet! :p

Nigel Walker

John

Your reply should have been

'That'll ding dang do for me' a' la Paddy from Max and Paddy !!!!

Ill be interested in hearing from you John (and anyone else) , your views on Rompox Easy

Anything that makes life a bit easier for us contractors is a good thing in my book.

How are you John. It was nice meeting you at the Karting night.
I dont think Michael Schumacher can worry just yet !. How many times did you finish last :D

Cheers

Nigel