Staining on sma - Staining

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
neatcon

Hi all I was locked out there for a while, I am just wondering do any of you have problems when laying Stone mastic asphalt with the water and dust from concrete paths/edging etc staining the finished product. I have tried everything to eliminate this power washing the roller covering the patches etc, I have it down to a minimum, its as if the water is boiling on the material and leaving like a rusty stain.

tarmal & Co

Yes I know what you mean about staining. I too keep my roller as clean as I can change my water in tank before laying. Hose the finished layer off. But the odd bit of staining seems to happen like a dust on top. I had one customer moan a little, I explained it will wear off I went back and checked a couple of months later it was gone. New Sma/bitmac seems to attract dirt. I too would like to know if any one has any ideas.

Dave_L
Site Admin

Roller stains on a hardstone SMA can sometimes be due to limestone filler dust used, it is quite prevalent from one particular quarry I use but they warn you of this.

Looks unsightly but given time, sunlight and use they soon disappear.
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

neatcon

Some of the stains are from water and will wash out if hosed immediately, it seems that the water is boiling on the SMA there is a product currently being used on a runway in Dublin airport that totally eliminates any staining, I will get the name of from the cube in my local quarry, only heard of this product recently.

Dave_L
Site Admin

No doubt a runway product will be very expensive!!

neatcon

I think it was €3000 per 1000ltr cube, not sure of the ratio to water but wil ask the questions and the ingredients might help out a few here.. I tried a plumbing product once that keeps the heating system clean, it did work but the complete driveway had a dull look about it when finished but no staining and that was SMA from a limestone plant.

tarmal & Co

Yeah the cemex plant I go to told me yesterday that they do add limestone dust as fillers to their sma out of there chimney air filter system to get rid of it.

Dave_L
Site Admin

I've found only using a pure hardstone SMA (no limestonne filler dust) is the only way to a completely clean surface.

neatcon

Bituslip is the product that was used in Dublin airport to prevent staining etc, it is a release agent for trucks but it was used on the rollers in the water to stop staining and to keep the surface clean.
https://www.google.ie/url?sa=....w35jkZA