Brick wall, frost heave

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
pgs

Planning on building a garden wall based, based on Tony's useful image:

On one side will the be my lawn, on the other the pavement. I've been reading up on frost heave etc and know that my concrete footing needs to be at least 150mm below ground, the question is what to use to fill in the gaps on either side of the wall.

For the garden side I'll stick some gravel/decorative pebbles down. Can I fill the other side (between the wall and the pavement) with conrete/mortar? That's what most people seem to do, but is that not then going to cause a potential problem with frost heave?

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

most people just use trench fill concrete
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

michaelthegardener

if your going to have the lawn going right up to a gravel strip be very careful a mower or strimmer can send a stone flying at an unbelievable speed I took the window out on my van from 30 feet away :(

pgs

Cheers, concrete it is then. I was just worried that any heave from that concrete would push against the wall.

Is it worth lining the trench with polythene sheeting prior to pouring the concrete in to slow down water loss?