Scalpings with a channel??

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
blackspaven

If I was to use scalpings as an aggregate for a patio but wanted a french drain on the sides, how on earth do you go about compacting them to leave the channels around the edges? Pouring concrete would make it easy cos you just use the forms to make the edges, but having never used a whacker plate, I cannot see how you compact 3-4" of scalpings and get them to do the same thing as it doesn't set.

Any ideas??
I'm just a useless bellend

seanandruby
Site Admin

Concrete some edgings in
sean

blackspaven

Thanks, didn't quite understand your comment, thought you meant wood formers, but spoke to a mate who used to do it and he suggested using edging stones as a former. He said bed in a bit of concrete, they should stay in place and keep the scalpings in place too and also work as a height guide and former for when you whack the scalpings down, as long as you support the outsides with old bricks or summat so they don't crack outwards.

Can anyone see any flaws in this?
I'm just a useless bellend

seanandruby
Site Admin

Sorry about the confusion. Don't use bricks at back of edging, haunch them with concrete.
sean