Paving - Maul

For the discussion of hand tools, power tools, operated and non-operated plant, and all sorts of kit associated with the paving and drainage trades
ryanjohn181187

Dose anyone know where I can buy an old fashioned rubber n fibre paving maul.been after one for years. I've looked on every website. But can't seem to get one anywhere.
R.mcguinness

digerjones

dylan

ryanjohn181187

No its got fibres in the head. Not a fibreglass shaft looks like string in them. There alot more hard wearing than a normal rubber maul
R.mcguinness

digerjones

ryanjohn181187 wrote:No its got fibres in the head. Not a fibreglass shaft looks like string in them. There alot more hard wearing than a normal rubber maul
Think mine is one of them. Got it from a car boot few years ago £15
dylan

Tony McC
Site Admin

They stopped making them in the early 1980s. Mine is a 1978 vintage (the year I started my apprenticeship) and still going strong, and even though I rarely use it nowadays due to having no discs in my lower spine, I'd be lost without it.

Years ago, probably 2001-2002, I tracked down a German manufacturer but they would only sell in full container loads, approx 1,800 units, and they've since been taken over by some faceless conglomerate who choose not to make mauls at all. I've got a company out in Australia looking to buy 20 or so if I can find any.

Funny because this is the second time this week the subject of fibre-reinforced rubber mauls has been raised. I was watching some eejit trying to lay kerb-n-drain units on a new road widening scheme, using a 2kg rubber mallet to batter a 20kg hollow kerb down by about 100mm on a bed of semi-dry concrete. His arm must be throbbing and his wrist joints knackered as each kerb was taking at least 50 blows to get it down to level, and most of the time, it was just bouncing off the top. The engineer asked him why he wasn't using a maul and his answer was that the 2kg mallet was how he'd been taught. Some bleeding teacher that must have been! Good luck laying 6x12s, lad!!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

seanandruby
Site Admin

....Sadly you sèe that all to often now Tony. I do the drainage so no need for the big maul, there is one in the tool shed at work and it hasn't moved in the 12 months i've been there. They all use the little rubber mallet and as you say: hit the kerb numerous times
???
sean