Planning permission help!

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
danfinchdan

Hi everyone Im new to the forum and apologise if this subject has been covered before, but please don't hate!

We are currently trying to apply for planning permission to convert the front garden into a gravel driveway to get our vehicles off a very fast and busy B road. Part of the planning portal criteria is that we stipulate what types of material we are going to use and to what depths. After spending hours looking for the answers i need on the internet Iv got nowhere really and just wondered if I could get a definitive answer from an expert on here please?

Basically what we need is a solid type material as the slope up to the garden is quite steep for roughly 2m, then this leads to a 6x 10m gravel parking area..

My main questions are:
1- Can the slope be made from concrete and if so will it need to be laid on another material underneath?
2-Will it need some sort of drain for water at base of slope and if so what type?
3-Does the base of the gravel section have to be made from type 3 mot for building regs as seems expensive?
4- And the million dollar question, To what depths do all the materials have to be laid to to meet building regs???

I know Im asking a lot but if anyone could help even with individual answer we would be extremely grateful as there is just no definitive answer on the net. Thanks for your time.
daniel finch

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

daniel
has anyone from your local highways been out?
you should contact them first as if the road is too fast or busy it may be a non starter

there is a beautiful victorian villa near me that is stuffed because it has no vehicular access
the road is a main road and a bend and the highways just said no way too dangerous

for bends like you have mentioned concrete block paving would work
gravel wont work on ramps

search the site for block paving and SUDS specs but speak to highways at your local council first
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

lemoncurd1702

Regarding the point LLL made about the busy road.
A driveway we installed last year faced a similar problem but were granted permission on the basis of creating a
turning area in the garden i.e. they did not need to reverse into or out of the driveway.

Type3 should not be a great deal more expensive than type1. Find an aggregate supplier rather than buying in bulk bags from merchants.
You would need to use this for it to be classed as permeable, many don't though.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

danfinchdan

Hi lemoncurd1702 thanks for such a quick response!
I would definitely require somewhere to turn as i drive a lgv van and is illegal for me to reverse out onto a B road. Any ideas as to how deep each material would have to be laid to as i have to supply a cross section drawing showing depths as part of the planning application, is there a minimum depth or is it all dependent on how soft the soil is etc??? Dan
daniel finch

lemoncurd1702

Not really sure why you need planning for the driveway if you are using a permeable system. Generally you need planning if you want to use a non permeable surface.

Planning permission for the pavement crossover though is a must. Most councils provide a spec sheet for this and require you use a contractor from their approved list.
Probably worth speaking with them, see exactly what they require and why. Knowing why sometimes sheds light on things.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

no problem dan!

:(
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE